Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

It is March break in NB this week, which always feels weird for me now that I am not teaching. I anticipate it, think about it, talk to others about their plans...but in our house it is a normal week (except that there are lots of people to hang out with who normally work at/attend schools- fun!).

I did have a snow day on Monday. Clients rarely cancel, so it was a nice treat. I got to spend the morning with my boys instead of in the office. Then, I got caught up on reports.

Here's what we've been up to in the past week:
- Celebrated Josiah's 17 month birthday!
- Went to Crystal Palace with friends.
- Went to the Y with friends.
- Had another Kindermusik class- so much fun!
- Lots of dancing and movement in our house lately!
- New obsession: dinky cars- Chris and Josiah are thrilled about this!
- Missed two days of napping (we seriously cannot survive without Josiah's afternoon nap, so I hope that this is another phase!)
- Went skating!
- Tonight is pizza/movie night.
- Tomorrow, maybe an early morning market visit with a friend, and I get to visit with my sister Andrea, her husband Dan, and my 6-month-old nephew Wesley!

In other news, I found/tinkered with an amazing pancake recipe. I have had some good recipes, but this is the best so far. Some of mine have been heavy or crumbly. When we were on our trip to Nashville, my favorite breakfast stop was at I-Hop. They have so many kinds of pancakes, it is insane. I had strawberry cheesecake pancakes... more like dessert than breakfast. This is a knock-off of their basic pancake, so you can add anything you want.

Pancakes:
1 1/4 cups flour (I use half or more whole wheat plus wheat germ to make up the flour. All should equal 1 1/4 cups)
1 egg
1 1/4 cups buttermilk (or regular milk plus a tablespoon of lemon juice- leave it for a minute before adding it to the rest of the mix)
3-4 Tbsp. sugar
1 heaping tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup oil (I use half applesauce)
pinch of salt
Tbsp. ground flax seeds
(Add whatever you want to make the flavour. We love blueberries, or any berries. Also mashed bananas are good, or apple chunks with cinnamon. Whatever you choose would work. If you are looking for dessert, maybe even strawberries and cream cheese!)

- Preheat pan on medium heat. Use non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients in blender or with mixer until smooth. Pour batter in pan (5 inch circles)- these will spread so don't put them too close together. When edges appear hard, or they start to bubble through, flip once. This makes 8-10 small pancakes.

4 comments:

Debie said...

this receipe looks yummy. i want to try them. ummmmm.

mel said...

Mmmmmm ... thanks for sharing. I feel like it's always hit or miss around here when it comes to pancakes, which makes it not worth the production. I'll have to try this one out!

Erin said...

I LOVE IHOP too....thankfully the city I'm in has one and every Wed students get half price....oh ya :)

Did you try the Harvest Nut 'n' Grain pancakes? If you did and you loved them I have the knock off recipe for them and I'd be willing to share.....so good!!!

Jenn said...

Deb & Mel: This is the first home- made pancake recipe that I have been very pleased with- hope it turns out for you guys!

Erin: Lucky you! I think Moncton definitely needs one too. Can you bring one back with you?!
I have never had the kind you mentioned, but would love to try them. Can you leave a recipe? Thanks for being willing to share!

Just a Peek