Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Psalm 103

When I was a kid, I went to 2 private Christian schools. One was amazing...the other was not so much. One of the teachers/pastors there thought it would be helpful to threaten us into good behavior quite frequently. Actually, most of them did so. I was a kid who was already so desperately trying to follow the rules, and already scared enough. I remember this teacher telling us on many occasions that God had a video camera, and that he kept track of everything we did wrong. On judgement day, He would pull out all of the tapes, and play them in front of everyone. The major problem with his story is that he had not included any grace or forgiveness element. What a hopeless message.

I literally felt for years, that no matter how much I confessed, my tape would still be played. I still need to consciously remind myself that this is not the case for someone who is forgiven. What detriment that man caused to so many young people back then. As I parent now, I am trying to learn how to show God's grace along with teaching and discipline. This is not an easy balance, and one that is sure to grow more difficult with age (both mine and Josiah's!).
This passage is a constant reminder to me:

"He has not dealt with us according to our sins, or rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His loving kindness toward those who fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him...(Psalm 103:10-13).


"As far as the east is from the west"...I love that!

4 comments:

Jobina said...

I remember being told the same thing about the tapes. Where do people get this stuff??

Jenn said...

What a coincidence Jobina! There must be some old manuals out there somewhere...hopefully they've been put to rest!

Mandi said...

Thanks for sharing, Jenn. I love that expression as well; as far as the east is from the west. That leaves no room for doubt; thank the Lord for forgiveness and grace!

Barb said...

Oh, did I need to be reminded of this tonight! This semester's class has me just about at the end of my patience. Reading this is a great reminder that, as I have received God's amazing grace, I must also extend it to others, undeserved or not. Thanks again.

Just a Peek