Search This Blog

Monday, August 8, 2011


We've made it...it'll be six weeks tomorrow since we welcomed Elwin into our family. Somehow I thought if I could only make it to six weeks, then things would be a little better.

Here are some of the things happening in our world:

- Tomorrow, I can drive again!! Oh how I have missed my independence!

- Tomorrow, I am driving somewhere. I'm not sure where yet, but I know I'll be going alone.

- Some days I feel so much better, and others I still struggle with pain and pulling, and most of all exhaustion.

- My heart has been palpitating some, and I've had more pain. I think this is connected to the lack of sleep, and to the stress of trying to manage both boys on my own while Chris is at work.

- A friend told me that we would find a new normal once we were by ourselves, and we are slowly starting to figure things out.

- I love Elwin and can't imagine life without him, but I miss the old days too...can't wait until we can all hop in the car and do something fun again.

- I missed church this week, because I just couldn't seem to get everything/everyone together on time. It is so hard to get everyone washed, dressed, fed, dressed again, fed again, and packed. Somewhere in there, I just gave up!

- I got a pedicure and a new hair cut. Everything else is feeling pretty awful so I thought it would feel good to have something look nice again.

- I am turning 34 this week, and I'm not sure how I feel about it...I haven't had much time to think about it.

- Josiah is adjusting well and some of the behaviours are easing. I think he is still feeling a bit sad, and trying to figure things out. And he doesn't like it when Elwin touches him!


- Josiah will be turning three in a few weeks. How does this happen so quickly?! I am finding myself contemplating some parenting issues lately, and I want to be deliberate in my role as a mother. It is so easy to let things coast, and just try to make it through. But this little boy is learning lots about life right now, and I want to make the most of each day instead of wishing the time away. What an overwhelming task!

- Potty training for Josiah is slowly returning. I think we will break the record for longest time ever taken to train a toddler!

- Elwin is growing well! I think he is in another growth spurt because he is feeding like crazy! I think his immature stomach valve is improving, but nursing continues to be a struggle for both of us.

- Elwin is much more alert, and smiling a lot! He has a very sweet little temperament. He loves the swing, and snuggling best of all. He also enjoys baths if the temperature is just right. His sleeping patterns are improving. Last night, he slept from 11:30 pm until 5:00 this morning! Tonight is not looking this good so far!

- Unlike Josiah, Elwin is not a fan of the car, or his car seat. He screams loudly almost the entire time, until it sounds like he's going to stop breathing. We have to stop a lot to calm him down. Road trips will be fun!

- Chris says his back is getting better...

- This week, Josiah is going away with my mom for a few days. I am looking forward to this mini-vacation for him and me! I hope he has fun away from this 'newborn' house! And we are looking forward to catching up on some sleep (and shopping- maybe that's just me!).

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm glad things are starting to come together for you guys. Does this mean you might be up for a visit soon?

E said...

If the palpatations continue, are they willing to move up your surgery time?

Cannot wait to see your new hairdo! And Josiah not wanting Elwin to touch him, boys! It starts early. ;)

Barb said...

Esther, I was just chuckling at the same issue that you noted: "Mom, he's TOUCHING me!" Wish I had a loonie for every time I've heard that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new haircut too, Jenn. Truth be told though, I've never once seen your hair look any less than lovely.

Mandi said...

I love this lovely update and I'm glad some things are staring to come together. Hopefully the rest of the lot will follow soon! I laughed at your blurp about trying to get everyone ready to get out the door... I don't see that improving anytime soon if your anything like me.
Also, Asher says all the time "Mama, I don't want Levi to look at me!" That one is harder to control than the touching.

Mandi said...

PS - I think we take the title for longest time ever to potty train a toddler!!!

Just a Peek