A lot of people have asked me about Elwin's name, so I thought I would share where it comes from.
It's an old name, and means 'noble friend' or 'friend to everyone.'
It was my step-grandfather's name, which is why it is so special to me.
Elwin was the only grandfather I really had. He was only in my life for a little over ten years before he passed away, but during that time he made a huge impact. He was a Christian, and I think one of the first examples I knew of unconditional love. He was a man of faith and integrity. Always smiling, he loved to see anyone who came to visit. His gentle and authentic spirit made it comfortable to be around him. Elwin was a very encouraging and accepting person. He was also a loon with a crazy sense of humour, and he loved to laugh. His eyes sparkled with a glint that always made me wonder what he was up to.
I wish that he could be here today. He would have loved my boys as much as he loved me. I wish he could see baby Elwin, and know the honour of having a namesake. Hopefully they will meet someday.
For a while after we had picked the name, I thought it might be strange, especially when I pictured myself correcting or disciplining baby Elwin. But when he was born, and finally opened his eyes, they sparkled, and I knew that Elwin was the perfect name for this beautiful new soul.
1 comment:
I pray they will meet again someday too. :) I knew who you had named him after, but not the story. It is very special, and Elwin will love to hear of it someday. :)
Post a Comment