Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Second Hand

I love second-hand shopping (big surprise!), and have learned a few tips I thought I would share (after a very successful shopping night):

1) If you don't love it, leave it...it often looks a little uglier when you get it home!

2) If it doesn't fit perfectly, and you're like me who never fixes anything, then don't bother. It'll probably end up in the back of your closet hogging a hanger while it waits for that new zipper or alterations.

3) Check closely for stains, missing buttons or belts, broken zippers etc. The black marks (bale marks) will wash easily, but I find grease stains impossible to deal with after somebody has laundered them incorrectly.

4) Make sure the item hasn't been altered (for example, the length of the pants may read 34", but when you try them on you'll realize a much shorter person enjoyed them before you [and don't convince yourself that they'll look great as capri's...they likely won't!]).

5) Don't over do it. Just because they are cheaper, it's not cool to buy three times as many. You'll end up having stuffed dressers/closets, and you'll have defeated the purpose of trying to save a few dollars. I find this more of trap if I go too frequently.

6) Labels can be very helpful if you aren't sure where to start looking. I once found a $200 pair of jeans for under $4 because I recognized the brand.

7) Still shop and browse for new clothes regularly. It'll help you stay in touch with what is current, and sometimes you'll find really great sales on new items (like the lined black trench coat I got online last week for just over $20!). And some new items on sale can be almost as cheap anyway (like t-shirts).

8) Don't buy underclothing (please!), unless you are really desperate (even then, please go to the dollar store instead!). I won't name anyone here...but it needs to stop!

9) Shop off-season. The summer is when I have found some of my nicest sweaters (because it is too darn hot to try them on but I do it anyway because I am just that cheap!).

10) Have fun! If you need a laugh, then try on something crazy- or that you just wouldn't put on!

11) Smell it before you buy it! Sounds disgusting, but not as bad as ending up with something musty or smokey. (I bought a used book once, unknowingly, from a smoker. Since I have a sensitivity to smoke, it was not an enjoyable read!).

12) Although there is a great sense of pride and excitement involved in finding a great item or haul, remember that God provides all we need, so He may have put that item there just for you. Thank Him when you leave!

2 comments:

Jobina said...

I still remember you telling me about a second hand clothing store in NB that was super awesome, I still dream of visiting just so that I could go shopping with you :o)

Jenn said...

I would LOVE to see you again and go shopping! Maybe someday. And the stores are great...maybe worth the trip (or move?!).

Just a Peek