Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Random Christmas confessions...

- I love Christmas, and I am getting excited as I prepare for all of the celebrations.

- Today, I pulled all of the Christmas mugs out. These are one of my favorite decorations, perhaps because they are useful too!

- Sometimes, as the holiday approaches, I long for a space to decorate nicely and host fun things. I get irritated when I hear complaints of people having to host, when I would love this more than anything (although I do realize it is not every one's gifting!). Maybe someday...

- Every year, I deliberate on whether or not to string popcorn. It looks quaint, but then it gets stale and stinks up the house (and my three-year-old would probably try to eat it all off the tree).

-Wheaton's store is one of my favorite places to be while Christmas shopping...the country Christmas decorations, all of the candle smells, lights, fudge...

- It is hard for me not to spoil my kids (and everyone else I know) at Christmas, even though I know I shouldn't, don't have the money, and realize that gifts are only a small part of Christmas. I just LOVE thinking of people and buying fun gifts.

- Personally, I am looking forward to Josiah's new toys...I am soooo bored of the ones he has now!

- I miss making Christmas decorations...a part of my past that seems to have gotten lost in the busyness of having small children (and a heart problem).

- One of my traditions has been an advent calendar, where I store Bible verses to be read each day, and sometimes other surprises such as treats, small gifts, crafts to be completed, games to be played, books to be read, movies to be watched, giving missions to be completed, etc... This is one of the things I look forward to most.

- I miss teaching, and getting two weeks off at Christmas. All that is in me anticipates a greatly deserved break that won't happen.

- I enjoy watching Christmas movies, as well as all of the Anne of Green Gables movies (this was easier before I had kids as it can take a while!).

- I bought the Doug and Melissa wooden nativity set for the boys this year, and I am looking forward to setting it up and retelling the Christmas story.

- There are a few people on my list who seem challenging to buy for, and they always seem to be the last gifts I purchase. I vow every year that I will find the perfect gift...and I don't think I ever have!

- I secretly listen to Christmas music because Chris doesn't like it played too early, only this year, he found out (and he was also listening early!).

- I am finding the Santa dilemma hard. Josiah called him the Christmas man- too cute! It is difficult when older people ask him who is coming, or if Santa will bring him presents. It plants ideas in his head that I'm not sure how to correct. I don't want him to be a 'spoiler' for other kids who believe this way, but I don't want him believing in this either. Seems too complicated for a three-year-old to sort out.

- I am excited for Elwin's first Christmas!

- I am feeling sad for some who are heading into this holiday with heavy losses on their hearts.

- I used to be great at sending Christmas cards and pictures...now I really have good intentions, but my list has grown shorter every year. I love this tradition and feel that it is dying out a little from when I was a kid, when Christmas cards would fill mantles and wrap around doorways.

- Although Chris thinks I am a snooper, I have only ever peeked at one Christmas gift. When I was a kid, and I saw the wrapping paper peeling at one end (after vigourously shaking and investigation- I am not claiming total innocence on this one!), I looked in and saw IQ2000 (the board game of the year!). It was quite disappointing on Christmas morning, and I had to pretend to be excited, and I'm not a good liar. But every year, Chris hides my present (usually away from our house!) because he thinks I'll peek.

- This year, we are going to my childhood home for Christmas, and I am so excited about this! I love being there, and visiting with family members I don't get to see often enough.

- In the midst of housework and dirty diapers, shopping and baking, planning and running, I am looking forward to stealing away quiet moments to reflect and give thanks for everything this holiday means to us.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't know what to do about the Santa thing either. I don't really mention him but everyone asks Ian if Santa is coming. It also feels like Santa is taking credit for some of the gifts that I chose that I know Ian will really like....

Mandi said...

I love this post!

I am stressed about an advent calendar - need to get one done! I would love to see yours.

We are so different when it comes to gifts... I cannot help but sneak and poke and question to find out what my gifts are. For me it's a double surprise; find out early what it is, and then get to enjoy it on Christmas day.

I am soooo with you on being excited for the boys to get new toys. We all need some change.

Melissa and Doug nativity set - where?

Jenn said...

Rachel- I know what you are saying. I haven't ever done a Santa gift...maybe the boys will grow up thinking they are naughty!

Mandi- I would love to share my advent stuff with you- so much fun! And I love trying to figure out what my gifts are too, but after they are wrapped so it is really just a guess. I bought the nativity set at L&G in Riverview.

Just a Peek