Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Third Trimester

As I head into the final phase, here are some reflections about the pregnancy so far:

- At times, it seems to go by very quickly and at other times it drags on.

- I have been feeling more emotional lately, and dreading the upcoming C-section. I think as it gets closer, I am remembering the horrors and I just don't think anything can make me feel ready to do that again (although there isn't much choice now!).

- In trying to prepare Josiah, we have been reading books about new babies and about being a big brother. Not that he'll really understand until it hits, but I want to know a little bit about what will happen. I remember a lady telling me once that she told her 2-year-old daughter that she was going to the hospital to have a baby, but she never told her that they would be coming home. Lots of emotional distress and tantrums followed, until they realized that the little girl just needed to hear that her mother actually was returning home in the end. After hearing that, I want him to have as many details as he can understand at his level!

- Physically, things are staying pretty much the same, so that is good news for my heart. I have had chest pains and palpitations and weakness and lots of tiredness, but as long as nothing is getting worse they told me not to worry.

- I love being pregnant this time of year rather than in the summer...no swelling!!

- I cancelled my next ultrasound. I feel like because of my heart stuff and being placed in a high risk group that they are going little overboard with the testing. So I called and told them I'm not doing it. I think I would be more inclined if it made any difference, or of there were things they could do to help. But at this point, there is nothing they will find that will change the course of the pregnancy. And I am tired of trying to find childcare, finding parking at the hospital, going to appointments, and hearing nothing new.

- We still don't have a name, but I think have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. In a pinch (like having the baby early) we could come up with something we are both happy with.

- After reading that about 90% of babies survive if delivered at the place I am now, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Not that I want the baby to come this early, but after having so many miscarriages, I don't think that I really start getting excited until I am past the risky part.

- Although we did not with Josiah, for this baby we decided to find out the gender. We thought it would make things much easier for organizing and getting ready. So...



...we'll be bring home another BOY! We are both very excited about this! It has been much easier to get ready too, because we have lots of boy stuff. We also know a bit about what to expect. It is crazy that so far on Chris' side of the family there are four boys (this one will make five), and one girl, and on my side there are three boys (this one will make four).

- He's moving around lots, and reminding me that he's still there. This is reassuring, and has not been as painful as in the last pregnancy. I think he is probably active in a normal way (not an acrobatic, insane, "give me more space" kind of way like the last time!). Already at this point in my last pregnancy, I had very bad bruising inside of my rib cage from all of the kicks and turns. I'm not feeling beat up yet, so this is good! He does keep me up at night though, and seems to be awake a lot throughout the night and early morning at this point.

- I am getting tired of maternity clothes, and can't wait to burn them when I am done with this. I think back to my first pregnancy and how excited I was about the 'cute' baby-bump clothes...if only I had known! Now when I am out, I just feel like shopping for nice, regular clothes again, but I don't because I think it would be way too depressing!

- I am feeling excited and nervous to meet this little guy in a few weeks! What will he look like? Will he be quiet and reserved, or outgoing and sociable like his big brother? What kinds of toys and activities will he enjoy? Will he like to be held? Will his name suit him? So many questions! I keep thinking that unlike choosing a spouse that you will spend forever with, we don't get to choose our kids. Their little personalities can delight us and drive us crazy (sometimes all in one day!). I am anxious to know him.

- Although in an ideal world I would love to have lots of kids, I am a bit relieved to think that this is the last time I will be pregnant! It has been an honor, but I'm not sure that I will ever miss it!

- Only ten or eleven weeks left to go!

4 comments:

mel said...

Wowzers! So many exciting things! And another boy! It's a good thing that Maren is the oldest, or she'd never have a chance of getting a date. (^_^) Glad this pregnancy is a little bit easier on you in some ways, and we look forward to meeting this little guy soon, too!

Rachel said...

If you ever need someone to watch Josiah, we don't mind. I know we are a bit out of the way though.

Mandi said...

Wow, look at Josiah in that picture - hard to believe it's the same guy.
Yay for 2 boys!!!
I think no matter waht your delivery experience, you'll be emotional. I remember feeling nervous for a vaginal delivery too, knowing the pain that would come with that.
Name - does Josiah know any of them? Is he still taking smartie bribes? :)
We are VERY MUCH looking forward to meeting, and getting to know, this little guy too. I also wonder what he will be like.
Last pregnancy - for sure? :)

Jobina said...

Congrats on another boy! I can't wait to see what he looks like!

Just a Peek