Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

First Trimester

As I am entering week fifteen of this pregnancy, I thought I would share a few details about what's been happening.

- I found out I was pregnant at the first of November, although I knew a couple of weeks before I took the test.

- Nausea has been brutal, just as in my pregnancy with Josiah. It has gotten a little better in the past week, but certain sights and smells are still difficult for me.

-Singing has been very difficult since I've been so nauseated.

- I had my first ultrasound around 7.5 weeks because I am a bit high risk with all of the miscarriages in the past. This was very reassuring, to see the baby's heartbeat, and know that everything seemed okay.

- I have had two appointments with my OBG, and everything with the baby seems great.

- My biggest problem (which did not surface in the last pregnancy) has been the irregular heartbeat and palpitations. It is caused by the increase of blood flow during pregnancy (coupled with a complication I was born with that was never corrected). Although this does not hurt the baby at all, it is often very uncomfortable for me, and leaves me feeling weak and dizzy. I have been tested by a cardiologist, and am waiting to see how this will impact my delivery process.

- My last OGB appointment was on Thursday. Chris and Josiah came to hear the baby's heartbeat. Josiah lifted his shirt and said, "My turn," after the doctor removed the Doppler from my stomach. He then ran into the waiting room and yelled, "I saw mommy's button!" Since that appointment, he's been saying, "Baby goes, 'Boop, boop.'" (like the sound of the heartbeat)

- I am officially in maternity clothes.

- Once again, I have started getting unsolicited advice about pregnancy, kids, having more kids...didn't miss that! Along with the advice comes brag stories from other women(you know the kind..."not one stretch mark after six kids"..."birthed a thirteen pound kid and after twenty-three hours of labour and no drugs I didn't even need stitches!")

- This pregnancy is much different than the first. I am not as worried. I don't have as much time to get wrapped up in details...this is a good thing!

- I have my next ultrasound the first week of February.

- We do not know the gender or the names that we like yet.

- Cravings= fresh tasting things, like fruit, tomatoes, and sherbet.

- Aversions- anything spicy or heavy or greasy, meat, and creamy dairy.

- It is easier this time than with Josiah because I am not working outside the home. This means I can nap if I need to by the afternoon, and I can slack off a bit (okay, a LOT!) on my chores and I'm not going to be fired! When I was working, it was so fast paced, and I felt so depleted; however, the weekends were a little more restful than they are with a full-time toddler at home!

- I have decided that I really don't like being pregnant. That sounds terrible. I am so grateful for this privilege, and I know it is a blessing. It only lasts for a short time. I just don't like how I feel, but I know it'll be worth it!

3 comments:

Jobina said...

Well feeling weak and dizzy and nauseated I'm not surprised that you're not enjoying it all that much! I really hope it gets better for you and I'm so glad that you feel the freedom to lie down and slack off if you need to. It's important to take care of yourself. I'm so excited for you guys. Great pic on the side btw, Josiah is super cute!

Mandi said...

Being pregnant while taking care of a toddler has its definite pros and cons, but it definitely changes the game! Glad things are going well, despite the nausea and tiredness.
That's a very cute Josiah story about the belly button! :)

Barb said...

Child # 1 usually has an amazing gift of the gab, eh? It's priceless, unless Dad takes him to a gathering of teachers watching a hockey game. Then, said child comes home and shocks Mom with his new words!

Love your Josiah stories!!

Just a Peek