I read this article
(http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=234437) today, and found it to be quite interesting. As a professional who worked with troubled kids in school, I always had difficulty rewarding for behavior that every other kid was doing, or giving special privileges to the undisciplined kids.
The other night, I was talking with a friend who teaches high school. It was the first that I have heard of a 'no-zero' policy, which prohibits teachers from giving out zeros. I was astounded by the extra work this has placed on teachers, and the lack of character and responsibility it is instilling in kids. It connects with what the author of this article is saying too, that it is unacceptable for a kid to feel like their work is sub-par even when it is.
As I parent, I am searching for the best way to raise my child. I know that I don't want him to end up like the kids mentioned in the article; however, I also know from experience what it is like to grow up in a house that offered little praise and too much comparison. So I am trying to find a balance...so hard. Anyway, just some thoughts!
1 comment:
I really disagree with a no-fail policy as well. If Ian works hard and gets the same mark as someone who didn't, where's the satisfaction in that?
Post a Comment