Chris and I have often survived on a limited income, due to putting ourselves through school. Chris was also a student for the first seven years we were married, and I finished my BEd. during that time. So, needless to say, things have often been tight. Now, being off work, I have a little more time to 'save' us some money. This is hard, because the more time I have means the more time I want to shop!
These are a few of the things I/we have been doing to cut costs:
-Shopping for used clothes/items (we've been doing this for a long time).
- Using homemade baby wipes, which are way cheaper and nicer than the bought ones (this idea/recipe/supplies were a baby shower gift from Chris' brother/sister-in-law that we have loved!).
- Giving free hair cuts to Chris and Josiah (I loved those couple years of freedom when I didn't have to do this).
- Giving a free hair cut to myself (please never do this...there is always money for your own haircut. I wish someone had reminded me of that before Josiah's nap today! I also know exactly what I want, and could cut it for someone else. But I didn't realize until part way through that I REALLY couldn't do anything with the back. So now I have to go and get it fixed and endure those 'looks' from hair stylists:).
-Baking more (especially items like wraps, specialty breads, etc...that can really add up. It's also very hard to buy the store-version of these things once you've made them yourself!).
- Cooking/buying more in bulk (this can see expensive for the first few months, but saves a HUGE amount of money if you can stick with it long enough for it to pay off).
- Cooking simpler meals.
- Making laundry soap (I don't think I will ever buy again!)
- Using dryer balls instead of static sheets (the cheap ones are loud!).
- Making hand soap (I'm still experimenting with this! The first batch is a little stringy...but it's so much cheaper, and better than using a bar). (NOTE: If you have a husband like mine who does not like the idea of homemade soap, try only having a bar of soap available for a couple of weeks, and he'll be begging for your homemade liquid version- even if it is a little sticky!). I'm sure I will find a better recipe yet, but I did have fun adding my own scents.
- Making bath salts.
- Making facial cleansers...I love this!
- Obsessively turning everything off when it isn't being used.
- Cutting coupons, bargain shopping, buying local or in-season produce.
- Using local 2-for-1 coupon book for family outings/dates (can't afford dates, but will use coupons when we can!).
- Getting a bus pass, and trying to walk more instead of driving when it can work.
These are a few things I would like to try to make: dish soap, shampoo, multi-purpose cleaner that doesn't smell like vinegar, toilet paper (okay, maybe not)...
Any other ideas for ways to save money or make homemade versions of household items?
(Oh, and Bob, watering down the ketchup doesn't count...I already tried!)
No comments:
Post a Comment