Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Health

I wanted to give a health update, as I know many of you have asked and are wondering about news regarding my heart.

I still have not received news of a date for my heart surgery, but all the test results were sent to Halifax, and they will decide what type of surgery I need. My cardiologist was recommending angioplasty rather than open-heart surgery so I am hoping for that as well. The procedure will likely take place in Halifax (and not in Saint John as I was originally told).

My cardiologist suggested that both of the boys be tested for a heart defect, since their chances are three times higher than if they did not have a parent with this condition.

They had an appointment with a pediatrician to set up ECGs and echocardiograms, which may take place in the next couple of weeks. Elwin's heart sounds good; however, Josiah has a heart murmur. Both our family doctor and the pediatrician think that it sounds benign, but they are testing him just to make sure.

Josiah has seemed very ill to me for quite some time. Last Saturday, I just took him to the ER, because I wanted blood work to make sure nothing more serious was happening. Everything came back clear, and the doctor suggested that he is probably just building his immune system by trying to fight off multiple viruses. I still wasn't sure this was it.

While I was at the pediatrician's office yesterday, I was able to ask some other questions that I have been wondering about. And I discovered that I think Josiah has an allergy to chalk. This is a HUGE relief! I have felt sick for some time, watching him struggle, and not knowing what it was. He was fatigued and pale, and always complained of having a sore throat and not feeling well. He has a chalk board in his play area, and he has been chalking up trains lately, pretending that they are dirty and dusty from the tunnels.

I'll let you know if I hear any results about the boys, or if I get a date or details regarding my heart surgery! I am so thankful for the quality of care and treatment we have access to. Thanks for all who have been praying for this. It is greatly appreciated as I struggle with exhaustion and discomfort while I'm waiting.

1 comment:

E said...

Oh, Jenn, what a relief to have a possible answer with Josiah. I know a little boy who had an allergy almost like that, and it wasn't until they were doing renovations and the drywall dust sent him into a frenzy that we realized what it was to ask the doctor about. Praying this is so and that he'll be open to other types of "dirt" that also won't drive you nuts at the same time. :)

Just a Peek