Search This Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Some of you know that Josiah has had some major allergic reactions lately. Here is a picture of some of the hives he has had:



This was not the worst outbreak...I was too stressed out during that one to snap off pictures! He has had these on more than fifty percent of his body, and we've been trying to figure out the causes.

He was seen by the allergy clinic, where they ran some food tests and nothing showed up! The doctor was a little dismissive, so I had to push for more testing. He said that hives don't necessarily mean allergies, and that he'll probably outgrow whatever it is. This is not very reassuring, especially for parents who are still trying desperately to avoid whatever is causing this. So now, we have to wait another six months for more testing. They said it could be oral allergies, which may involve certain kinds of fruit combined with environmental conditions (like pollen outside this time of year).

I am still avoiding plums, as I think this caused a major reaction. Unfortunately, they were unable to test for plums at the clinic. I am trying not to be stressed by this, and we're hoping to avoid any more major outbreaks while we wait!

1 comment:

mel said...

Poor guy! Maren has had hives on a couple of occasions these last two summers, and it seems to be from a certain species of mosquito (only some of the bites turn into hives). It's so uncomfortable and difficult. Witch hazel compresses and children's Benadryl have brought some relief.

Just a Peek