Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Birth

I thought I would share some details about Elwin's birth story for those who haven't already heard enough!

We went into the hospital at 6:00 in the morning on June 28th for a planned C-section. They prepped me and I waited for about an hour. Thankfully, my OBG was scheduled to do the surgery. She had also done my surgery for Josiah, and she was great!

I went into the operating room around 8:05 for the epidural. This was not a fun experience. The anesthesiologist tried multiple times without success before she was able to get it. She was also very unprofessional and condescending to the nurses, so there was a horrible tension in the room.

I was getting very anxious and upset, until I closed my eyes and prayed. I felt peace, and like God was there. I knew that others were praying too. God reminded me that He had made me stronger through all of the difficulties, and that I could get through this. This seemed to shift things for me, and I held onto this even during my recovery.

I remember feeling very nauseous, and I kept asking for Chris because they started the surgery this time without him. He was brought in just before they saw the head. The surgery was awful because I felt everything, but without pain. Then they took the baby out, and I heard him and saw him. He was so amazing! His Apgar score was 9/10, then 10/10 a couple minutes later, so he got to stay with us! This was a huge answer to prayer because Josiah had gone to the NICU when he was born and it was a horrible experience. There was something about having the baby right there that made all of the other not-so-pleasant things seems more tolerable.

This is one of the first pictures taken of him:


Elwin was a little unsettled for the first couple hours, and he kept his face covered with his hands for a long time!





Here is a picture of the first time Elwin and Josiah met:


Overall, I do not think that things could have gone any better. My heart was stable throughout the surgery and has been since. Thanks to all of you who prayed for us through this, and for the support you have shown in so many ways. We have felt very blessed and cared for!


7 comments:

erin said...

YAY congratulations!!! So glad it went so well! He's beautiful! It was nice to run into you at the best restaurant ever...happy healing :)

E said...

Jenn, again, am so glad that everything we prayed for happened. God can be so good! :)

Barb said...

A line from a Josh Groban song says, "There's so much to be thankful for." Yup!

Jobina said...

Congratulations you two! He's gorgeous (of course!!) you two make beautiful babies :) glad to hear everyone is doing well!

Mandi said...

OMG I could just gobble him up he's so sweet! Ohhhhh baby, I need my fix. I can't wait to cuddle with Elwin soon.

wm said...

Hi Jen!
Glad to hear things are going well with you - praying that your family will be healthy and blessed! (kathy bergen sent me this link)Your babies look beautiful!
Wendy (from southwood school days)

Jenn said...

Thanks everyone!
(Wendy- great to hear from you! Hope you are doing well).

Just a Peek