Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pre-holiday Activities:

1) Spent Christmas bonus on a new camera- YAY!


2) Fun in the Snow! Josiah calls it ---"dnnooooow". He fell face first, which he didn't like. He actually stood at our back door and said,"Go, go," meaning that he wanted to go inside. Josiah has never made this request on that side of the door before.






(Unfortunately, this was on the way out the door. It is always a wrestling match, and here he is flinging his boots off (for probably the fifth time) before we went out this morning!)



3) Made a ginger bread house. Chris had never done one before, and has always mentioned that it may be fun. So we gave it a whirl.



The results kind of look like we drank a bit too much while we were doing it. Next year...I will make my own from scratch. The icing was too drippy!




4) Counting down.. this is a new advent calendar I got while we were on our trip. Josiah really likes the doors. He tries to climb up and reach it. I think it will be more fun for him next year.



5) Setting boundaries...that Josiah is pushing every day! I love his energy and 'life'...really, I do! I just have to remind myself of that sparkle in his eye when I am experiencing the negative side to his personality. I wouldn't trade his spunk in the good times, but he has been a bit hard to manage as of late. We wrestle with how to discipline without damaging his spirit and 'wild side'! Wish us luck! Oh, and he is cutting five new teeth all at once, which probably isn't making the behaviours any better!



6) Events: We attended my staff party a couple of weeks ago. It was the Allison Baptist dinner theater. Very well done! My mom came up to visit, so she babysat for us.  She also watched Josiah so we could shop for his presents.  I didn't realize how hard it was to not spoil your kid/s at Christmas! We did well, but it was hard to not buy two of everything we thought he would like (until I thought of how I might fit it all into our already overcrowded space). Chris went to his staff party on Saturday night. It was a house party. I made two pumpkin cheesecakes to send with him (without the usual candied pecans that go on top, because I burned them very badly!).The family festivities (on my side) begin this weekend, so that will be fun.

7) Decorating. Very minimal this year. Josiah is just at that phase where I can't be bothered to try and keep him out of even more stuff, so we kept it to the basics.  A tree with all non-breakable ornaments and lights, and a few decorations on some top shelves. Glad that Christmas means way more than how my place looks!

8) Listening to great Christmas music, and starting to watch those funny and sappy holiday movies...I just can't help it!

9) Finding ways to both quiet my heart and celebrate!!!

4 comments:

Barb said...

I must confess that I'd been checking the # under your "Blog Archive" for a few days, hoping for some delicious new pics and a great newsy post. Then last night, I saw #63 and thought, "Whoopie! It's here." You did not disappoint, Jenn. I loved every stroke and snap!

Jobina said...

I love hearing about life out East ad how it's changed since you guys lived here! Josiah is definitely at a fun/challenging age. Although, we're discovering that every single age has it's glorious moments and it's extreme challenges! LOVE the camera and the advent calendar! Is there something inside the little doors? We have a little wooden tree that we hang an ornament on each day. The kids take turns and they just love watching it fill up. Great gingerbread house guys! So, I guess the question is, were you actually drinking too much?? Judging from the almost empty bottle.... :o)

Jenn said...

Barb- Glad you enjoyed the post. Sometimes I think the updates are a bit long, but not sure what to exclude. Maybe only a grammie/mom can appreciate all of the details!

Jobina- Yes, it has changed so much since were in Manitoba! I am reminded every time I see pictures of your sweet kids- Trinity was just a baby/toddler when we first met you. The advent calendar has a little cubby behind each door, so we can do whatever we want to with it. This year, it is pretty basic- candies, the odd activity or ministry. I hope to develop it a bit more for next year. The drink... judging by the gingerbread house, it looks like more alcohol was consumed than actually was!!

Debie said...

So glad that you got a new camera!!!!! That was great to have a Christmas bonus that could afford that, and not just given a frozen turkey...as some places do. :o)

Just a Peek