Many people ask about my job, and I am beginning to think that the world of psychology is a bit like, dare I say, the weird world of computers. Whenever I talk to someone who works with computers, I try to listen and understand, but I often walk away still unsure of what it is they actually do! I have had similar feedback when people have asked about my job, so I thought I'd give a bit of detail on what I actually do every Monday.
I am a clinical assessor for a psychologist, which means that I administer tests and write reports. Mostly, I do psycho-educational assessments. This may involve people referred by the government (social offices) or human resource companies, wanting to know what their strengths are and what they might be capable of doing for work. Many of the clients have multiple limitations that have prevent them from succeeding. The idea is to get them into the work force, doing something they are capable of and will be good at, and to have a plan that realistically reflects their abilities (many have learning difficulties, etc.).
I administer tests to measure vocabulary/communication skills, learning abilities, skill in areas such as math, reading, comprehension, spelling, writing, general information, memory, and concentration.
Overall, I am really enjoying this job. I love to help people who have not had opportunities in life to see what their true potential is. Most of the people I have worked with so far have been extremely nice and enjoyable to spend the day with (testing runs for an entire day with each client). My boss is very nice, and has been so accommodating to me. In a few months when my maternity leave is done, I will be working two days a week, plus bringing reports home to write, which will end up being about 20 hours a week. Chris will stay home with Josiah on the days that I work. We feel that we are so blessed to be able to do this for now, as we really wanted to have one of us home with Josiah at all times, and this opportunity has allowed us to this!
Hope you all get what I do now, but I won't be offended if you ask again!
1 comment:
I'm married to a computer techie who likes to talk details every day, and I still don't get it! However, from one psych major to another: I understand :)
Post a Comment